Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Doing it the best way I know how

I read this fantastic post this morning over at Buried with Childrenhttp://mimitchells.blogspot.com/, about doing the best we can as moms, the best way we know how. I tell my husband, and my children, many times during the week that I'm doing the best I can, and that needs to be enough.  Yesterday, as Princess cried for 30 minutes and I had no idea why, I did the best I could. When Captain Chaos was throwing apples across the table because he was tired and ready to go take a nap, I did the best I could to stop the behavior. When ICE was having his 3rd meltdown for the day, I did the best I could to make it stop without screaming at the top of my lungs for everyone to just quiet down for 15 minutes. 

You see, as a working mom, I'm gone Monday through Thursday from 6:30 a.m. until 5:15 p.m.  When I get home (and I  know I'm just preaching to the choir here), I have to get dinner ready, feed the baby (who always wants to eat immediately when the boys are hungry), and feed my husband and myself. The dog wants to go outside. Baths are in need, as Captian Chaos can't eat a meal without putting some of it in his hair / on his head / in his ears, and Princess is a pro at spitting up in that crack in her neck, which just grosses me out. Bottles need to be made, and the kitchen cleaned up. And me, I just want to sit at the table, read the mail and perhaps play one (or 10) levels on my really fun Iphone bubble pop game. Is that too much to ask?

I love my family, with everything inside of me, but some days, I just want to scream to the world, I'm not perfect, I do the best I can every single day with what I have, and some days, I just don't care. So there.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad that you wrote this post, based on mine. It is so good to find people who know whats its like and are just about keeping it real.
    And all we can do is the best we can and some days that means locking yourself in the closet with a bottle of wine and crying until the tears won't come anymore.

    ReplyDelete