As another mommy blogger got me thinking, I realized that there are a lot of benefits to having children that you don't read about in baby books. Here are my top 5:
1. You get really good tables at restaurants when you have a stroller. Since the stroller needs to be out of the way, we tend to get nice, front corner tables with great views, out of the way of all the servers. Fine by me!
2. They will pick things up off the floor and put them away / bring them to you / throw them away. This benefit doesn't start until they understand commands, at about 18 months or so, but it's so much fun! And, it allows me to not have to bend over so much.
3. (At least at my house) they LOVE to clean the kitchen with different electronic devices, and dusting is really fun! I'd never take advantage of this (insert sarcasm here), but if I did, I'd let them sweep with the Broom Vac to their hearts' content, dust bust the living day lights out of every booster chair and under the base boards, and dust the rungs of all 8 chairs in the kitchen. Oh, the joy!
4. Come age 3, laundry is a lot of fun for them, and they can fold wash rags, bibs, burp rags, underwear, and some shirts and pants. With 3 kids and 5 - 7 loads of laundry each week (seriously, I think my neighbors are dropping off their laundry when I'm not looking!) it's a huge help!
5. A whole new appreciation for holidays. It's amazing to look at Christmas lights through the eyes of a 3 year old. It doesn't matter how crappy they look, how badly they were put up, or how gorgeous they are, they are all so cool in his opinion, and I love driving around the neighborhood that extra time just so he can check them out!
What about you, what are YOUR top 5 benefits to having children?