Monday, November 9, 2009

Oh what a week!

It's been a rough start to the pre-winter season at our home...between bronchitis, ear infections, croup, colds, and now pink eye, well, I'm ready for Calgon to take me away! But I've been having a great time home with my kiddos.  I learn all kinds of things from them when we are home sick. For example, Joey loves to make "deh signs" - which, when he says it, sounds a lot like DEATH SIGNs - as a mom of a 3 year old, this, of course, did not make me happy when I heard him tell me this is what he wanted to make.  I finally asked him to show me what he was going to make, and he pointed to the words in his book - Make Designs! Of course, when you are 3 and learning to read, Designs can also be pronounced DEH signs.

I've learned that Jake will repeat anything you say, and that his talking is getting so much better, as is his comedy skit that he's preparing for later in life. Our dog, who honestly,won't make it to Christmas, and possiblty not to Thanksgiving, was laying on the floor and Jake laid nose-to-nose with him and said What's the problem Nikko? Tell me, what's the problem? Minutes later, he was standing by the kitchen chairs and said I going to blow my nose on Joe's chair. I said absolutely not, which he didn't listen to, and then he decided he needed to blow his nose on his OWN chair.  He really is a sweet, loving boy, but the things that cross his mind that he then acts out, well, I fear for the number of times we will end up in the principle's office in about 5 years...

I've learned that no matter what, Mia wants her mommy, and she is very afraid of any loud noise. The neighbor's dog barked at her, and she flipped out. Her daddy made a funny noise at her, which he does to the boys all the time, and she flipped out. She surely is a 'sensitive soul', as our pediatrician calls her. Not sure how that will bode for her in the future.

Mostly though, I've learned that I"m not cut out to be a SAHM. I love being home with my children, I love spending time with them 1:1, and I treasure these times as I know as they get older they'll get fewer and fewer. But I do love to go to my job, and be challenged by things like erectile dysfunction and BPH (well, not me personally, but the studies I manage). And I love the flexibility it's given me to be home when I need to but be there when all is well. Now if only I could figure out how to be at work and have my house magically clean itself and my laundry magically put itself away.

1 comment:

  1. When you find that house cleaning fairy, let me know, as well! Sounds like you have been through the ringer. There are brighter days ahead! Sounds like you have a great job outside of the home...your kids will grow up very fast, enjoy these times!

    ReplyDelete